Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Hordes Goodness

Picked up Shifting Stones last night at the LGS, and placed my March order - Druids of Orboros and a Sentry Stone. The LGS gives you 10% off if you pay when you place the order, so it came to just a few cents over $50; perfect, since that's what I'd planned on spending each month.

A quick note: a buddy of mine is having me paint some of his minis in exchange for Circle Orboros solos and miniatures, which is how I got the Shifting Stones. It's a system that works for both of us, since it saves me a bit of cash, and gets me utility solos and such. Current work for him is a min unit of Nyss Hunters, and after that a light merc jack - the Talon, I think.

I had a game yesterday against a friend who was playing Khador, a bit of a weird list.

Vlad
Behemoth
Doomreavers
Kovnik Joe
Winterguard (10) and UA

vs.

Kaya
Gnarlhorn
Warpwolf
Shifting Stones
Gatormen (3)
Druids and UA
Wolfriders (3)



I was a bit worried, because I know that so far I've been concerned with how well Circle handles heavy heavy armor, like the Khador jacks usually have. He started the game with the Doomreavers almost in my face, so I countered with the Warpwolf, hoping that enough Doomreavers would fail to hit that the WW could then rip them apart. Alas, they dismembered it pretty quickly... and then got butchered by the Gatormen and the Druids, who charged into hand-to-hand combat.

After that, I charged the Goat at the Winterguard, who lost 2, and then pulled him back with Spirit Door. The Druids advanced and cast the Devouring at Vlad; I rolled boxcars for damage, and Vlad promptly took 8 damage! The wolfriders had been doing a good job of distracting the Behemoth, keeping him from firing at my troops.

The end of the game came after most of the Winterguard had been wiped out, and I made a crucial mistake. Kaya was in a position to walk up to Vlad and enter melee with him, but she only had 2 Fury on her. I'm still new to the army, and I forgot to cut her for 4 Fury during the Control Phase - my Goat had been taken out by Vlad the previous turn. Opponent was nice enough to let me go back, but I'd already completed a few other moves, and declined. With Blood of Kings up, she needed to boost every attack roll, and with 2 Fury there was no way I could kill Vlad.

So far it seems to be a pretty decent army list - I almost hit on the wolfriders by mistake, and including them was a bit of a "let's see how these play!" thought. But they work for distractions, and their mobility is very worth it. I'm not sure I'll be picking them up anytime soon, because they're expensive, but I like the potential they have. The gatormen as well, and three attacks at MAT 6 can be pretty brutal against most infantry. There's a Kromac discussion on the PP forums right now, which makes me want him even more... but $30 for a single warlock is pricey, when it could be better spent on a 3-man Gatorman Posse, or a unit of Bloodtrackers, or any number of actual troops.

No comments: